Tuesday, March 13, 2007

March 12 - Pet Peeve Monday - Day Light non-Savings

When I started blogging almost one year ago, I designated every Monday as PET PEEVE MONDAY. My first PET PEEVE MONDAY was on April 3, 2006. It was my distaste for Daylight Savings Time.

My problem with DAY LIGHT SAVINGS TIME (DST) has only been exacerbated this year because Congress moved DST up three weeks with their Energy Policy Act of 2005. I guess they really weren’t the “Do Nothing” Congress. They were the “Do Nothing Smart” Congress.

My house has 68 CLOCKS:
  • 11 Wall Clocks
  • 7 Radio Clocks
  • 18 TVs with Clocks
  • 9 VCR / DVD players with Clocks
  • 2 Cell phones with Clocks
  • 1 Microwave with a Clock
  • 1 Convection Oven with a Clock
  • 1 Regular Oven with a Clock
  • 5 Computers with Clocks
  • 5 Phones with Clocks
  • 1 Answering Machine with a Clock
  • 3 Wristwatches
  • 2 Cars with Clocks
  • 1 Pager with a Clock
  • 1 Coffee Maker with a Clock
A few of them would be automatically updated when DST would kick in. Now that Congress has gotten involved, all of them required intervention except my cell phones. Additionally, the ones that would have automatically updated, will change again in three weeks.

I believe all the money we supposedly save in energy by changing the clocks three weeks earlier will be spent in the time we must expend to change our clocks, sometimes twice in a three week period. I bet the people in Indiana are really confused.

I lost more than hour just adjusting my clocks. This also bothers me because we lose the hour in the middle of the night when we are sleeping. Why not take that hour at 11 a.m. when all we would miss would be Rosie O’Donnell on "The View." In fact, everytime I watch Rosie, I feel that that's another hour I'll never get back.

I have a new metric called the Rosie Meter. I use it to guage how long I can watch the show before Rosie offends me and a large portion of America. It’s been as quick as 32 seconds. I wish the clock on her 15 minutes of fame would spring forward.

Rosie and Boy Gorge (George)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 13, 2007 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

18 TVs??? There's a WTF for you!

 
At March 14, 2007 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 14, 2007 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about Nightime savings?

 
At March 15, 2007 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A person with one watch knows what time it is; a person with two watches is never sure. That pretty much sums it up for you JJ.

 
At March 18, 2007 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what time it is? Does anyone really care?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home