Sunday, February 25, 2007

February 26 - Pet Peeve Monday - Car Magnets

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY is Car Magnets.

One of the most popular magnets is the yellow ribbon that supports our troops.

Here is my response.

The Yellow Ribbon was inspired because of the 1973 song by Tony Orlando and Dawn, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree.”

Upon researching the web, I found out:

“The song was based on an actual incident that occurred aboard a southern bus bound for Miami. One of the passengers explained to the driver that he was just out of prison, having served three years for passing bad checks. In a letter to his wife, he had written that she didn't have to wait for him; but, if she was still interested, she could let him know by tying a yellow ribbon around the only oak tree in the city square. As the bus rolled down U.S. 17, nearing the man's hometown of White Oak, Georgia, the driver was asked to slow down so that all could see whether the ribbon was in place. To the man's tearful relief, it was. The driver pulled over and phoned the story in to the wire services, which spread it all over the country. Songwriters Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown read it in the newspaper, then put together their million-selling ballad.”

NICE. Not actually about the troops, but the dreams, wishes, and whims of a check bouncing redneck convict.

Maybe I was naïve, as I thought the lyrics about prison were euphemisms for Vietnam, and the inmate was a soldier, coming home. I don’t think I was alone. I can argue youth and Catholic School influences. What is your excuse? What is our collective excuse to continue to patronize this falsehood?

Here is my magnet for you troop supporters.

There is strong possibility that the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan might be a little too busy to be checking out the pseudo-patriotic magnet on the back of a 1989 Hyundai at the local strip mall. If you want to support the troops, ENLIST.

Why do you need a magnet to state your beliefs? What about actions?

Why do I need a pink ribbon magnet with "Find a Cure" written across it, to announce that I support breast cancer research? Is anyone REALLY PRO-CANCER?

Here’s a novel idea, don’t buy a magnet and give the money you would have spent on a car magnet DIRECTLY to support breast cancer research.

Why should 50% of the cost of the magnet go to magnet manufacturers located in another country?

I bet they don’t support cancer research or our troops. I bet they support our dollars and their own PROFITS.

My Pet Peeve should be yours as well.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 26, 2007 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call - they also discolor your car paint when you remove the magnets.

 
At February 27, 2007 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love car magnets - they are holding my car together

 

Post a Comment

<< Home