Wednesday, February 14, 2007

February 14 - Where Are They Now? Wednesday - My Philanthropic Friends

This week’s WHERE ARE THEY NOW? WEDNESDAY is focused on my dear, dear friends. This message is directed to my philanthropic friends to be exact.

Not all my friends, just the ones I have been supporting for many years. I’ve participated in:

  • Girl Scout Cookies Sales
  • Magazine subscriptions to Grit and Reader’s Digest Sales
  • Spirit Book Sales
  • Raw Cookie Dough Sales
  • Community Saver Book Sales
  • Popcorn Tin Sales
  • MD Carnivals
  • Christmas Wrapping Paper Sales
  • Public Television Memberships
  • Starving Artists’ Art Sales (there is a reason they are starving)
  • Third World Child Sponsorships

I’ve attended countless fundraisers for every disease known and a few I didn’t recognize. I’ve worn tuxes, suits, cowboy wear, and even dressed as Elvis for their causes.


Personally, I think if we would spend a little less time at these functions and a little more time in the lab, we could probably solve a few of these medical mysteries. Do the names Louis Pasteur and Jonas Salk come to mind? I bet neither one of them owned a tux and were made to attend fundraisers. But I digress.

My WHERE ARE THEY NOW (WATN) is focused on where is the support for my cause?

The American Lung Association is hosting “Climb the Carew”, a 45-floor, stair climb at the Carew Tower in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio on Sunday, February 25, 2007.

My participation in the event will help the American Lung Association in their work to eradicate lung diseases such as asthma, lung cancer, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD, emphysema and chronic bronchitis), cystic fibrosis and many others.

The proceeds from “Climb the Carew” will fund research for better treatments, education to reduce the impact of respiratory illness and support for people with lung disease and their loved ones.

To date, I have received sponsorships from:

  1. Carol B.
  2. Phil C.
  3. Kathy H.
  4. Tom K.
  5. George L., a previous WATN subject
  6. Larry K.
  7. Chuck L.
  8. Greg S.
  9. Scott T.
  10. Sue W.
  11. Jeff L.
  12. Steve K., who works at the Carew Tower and also promised to stash Bud Lights every 5 floors.

    THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE ABOVE FOR YOUR SUPPORT. Send me those cookie order forms.

    My WATN is addressed to the rest of you. Where are the rest of you on this cause? Are you Pro-Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease?

    My goal for this event is to raise a total $804. That is $1 for each step I will be climbing for better lung health. I am asking you to help me reach my goal. Please take this opportunity to show your support by making your pledge now.

    To pledge your support, please visit MY SITE at the American Lung Association of Ohio.


    I will post my results on February 26 or when I catch my breath.

    Thank you in advance for your support.

    Labels:

    3 Comments:

    At February 14, 2007 6:34 PM, Blogger J. Jay said...

    Add Nick K. to the SUPPORTER LIST.

     
    At February 18, 2007 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Add Michele R. to the Pro Lung list.

     
    At February 19, 2007 7:38 PM, Blogger J. Jay said...

    Trish A just pledged. Trish B and Trish C., you are on the clock.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home