Saturday, March 03, 2007

March 3 - Carew Tower Climb

This is a follow-up to my February 14’s WHERE ARE THEY NOW? WEDNESDAY blog about my philanthropic friends.

In that blog, I was attempting to solicit support for a good cause. The American Lung Association hosted the “Climb the Carew.” It was a stair climb of the 45-floors of the Carew Tower in Cincinnati on Sunday, February 25, 2007.

On February 14, I had 12 supporters and was in the middle of the pack for fundraisers.

Since that February 14 blog, my support ballooned to 26 contributors. I was able to raise over $900 for the American Lung Association. As of last Sunday, I was #2 in contributions.

This year’s event has raised over $83,000 for the American Lung Association of Ohio. The proceeds from “Climb the Carew” will fund research for better treatments, education to reduce the impact of respiratory illness and support for people with lung disease and their loved ones.

My goal for this event was to raise a total of $804 ($1 for each step) and to complete the climb in less than 10 minutes. I met those goals.

There were 429 entrants in this year’s event. All entrants started at 15-second intervals. My team, A Few Old Men included:
  • My sister, Jennifer, an avid marathoner
  • Her husband, Michael, also a marathoner, but participating less than a month removed from surgery
  • My friend, Scott, who runs and plays soccer

Michael, J. Jay, Jennifer, and Scott

Here were our results:

Jennifer placed 63rd. She completed the stairs in 8:06 and raised $165.

I placed 90th by completing the ascent in 8:34. I raised $900.02.

Michael stopping for oxygen on two occasions placed 96th with a time of 8:38. He raised $0.00.

Scott placed 214th, apparently getting lost and taking 10:46. Scott also raised $0.00.

I passed five people during my ascent. One fast Kenyan passed me.

Thanks to my long list of sponsors below:

Carol B., Phil C., Kathy H., Tom K., George L , Larry K., Chuck L., Greg S., Scott T., Sue W., Jeff L., Steve K., Trish A., Ed A., James G., Nick K., Dan K., Casey S., Al K., Joe F., Brad S., Marshall S., Jodi V., Michelle R., Heidi M., Mike L.

As they say on TV, the pledge lines are still open. The American Lung Association will continue to take pledges until March 25. Anyone wishing to pledge your support please visit MY SITE at the American Lung Association of Ohio.

There will be another climb next year. I'm looking to captain a team. Based on this year's fundraising results, it looks like I may have at least two openings.

Let me know if you want to join the team.

Thanks again for your support.

3 Comments:

At March 04, 2007 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You couldn't beat that girl in the photo. Her leg is bandaged.

 
At March 07, 2007 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you get lost on stairs?

 
At March 18, 2007 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To improve your time- try jumping off the top.

Just kidding - nice job!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home