Tuesday, March 27, 2007

March 26 - Final Four Fever

No PET PEEVE MONDAY this week.

Today, we celebrate The Ohio State University’s basketball team ascension to the FINAL FOUR.

The last time, OSU was in the mix was 1999. I was traveling in the Far East. When OSU advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, I was delivering a Y2K Seminar in Bangkok. I’m the tall blond headed person in the back row of the photo.

From Bangkok, I went on to Japan for four days to deliver another seminar. I listened to the Regional Semi-Final via the Internet as OSU disposed of Auburn.

Since I was in the area and had a free weekend, I decided to swing by New Zealand and catch up with some friends.

I touched down in NZ just as OSU was tipping off against St. John’s in the Regional Finals for a trip to the Final Four. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a Basketball score in a Cricket nation, half away around the world?

I could find out the score until the game was over for two hours. US and New Zealand relations will never be the same. OSU had won 77-74 and advanced.

Next it was off to deliver the same Y2K Strategic Plans to Australia. After Australia, I was to travel to Singapore for a weeklong award trip reserved for the company’s top performers.

As my time in Australia drew to a close, I began to develop a strange illness. The Australian doctors had never seen it before. There was no rash, no fever, and no blistering sores from Bangkok. What was it? It was FINAL FOUR FEVER.

I cancelled my trip and rebooked my flights. It was a mess, but I had the International Date Line in my favor. Marty McFly couldn’t have scheduled a faster trip.

I rebooked through Singapore Airlines from Sydney through Hong Kong onto Lufthansa Airlines through Zurich and finally onto Delta into Cincinnati. Total travel time was 41 hours. I touched down in Cincinnati with six hours to spare.

Although OSU lost that night to Connecticut in the National Semi-Final, I would have never forgiven myself if I had missed that game.

This year, it should be much easier to catch the game.

Good Luck to the Buckeyes this Saturday against Georgetown.

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Zealand? What do they call the other white meat?

 
At April 05, 2007 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad - Florida ruined the day, year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home