Thursday, June 15, 2006

June 15 - Thomas Joseph Beall


Yesterday I received the news I had been expecting, but hoped wouldn’t happen. A friend from my California days had succumbed to cancer.

Tom Beall was 47. We weren’t close friends but had socialized many times as we had a common friend. We had attended each other’s wedding in Sacramento, mine in 1992 and his in 1993. After I had moved back to Ohio in 1996 we only connected through Christmas card missives.

From his online obituary, it states, “Tom enjoyed life, especially when he was working on his yard, driving his car, watching action movies, listening to 70's rock and roll music, or just hanging out at home with his wife, Rita, and his cat, Jack.”

It’s sad that when we die they have to recapitulate our entire life in one sentence. I always wonder what my “sentence” will read.

I always remember the quote from Abraham Lincoln. “And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”

Everyone should take pause today to hug their child, spouse, parent, or friend.

Remembrances may be made in Tom's name to the Kaiser Permanente Hospice Program, 2025 Morse Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95825, or to the American Cancer Society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home