Sunday, June 04, 2006

June 5 - Pet Peeve Monday

This week’s PET PEEVE is Commencement Speakers. More specifically, Commencement Speakers that should not be allowed to give advice to new college graduates.

Here is sample list of this year’s commencement speakers, where they spoke, and their qualifications:

Ellen DeGeneres – Tulane University - Attended University of New Orleans for one semester

Lance Armstrong – Tufts University – Withdrew from Plano High School six weeks before end of senior year

Melissa Etheridge - Berklee College of Music - Dropped out of said college during 2nd semester

Billy Joel – Syracuse University – Left Hicksville (NY) High School one credit short of graduation

I would have been insulted after paying $100K and giving up four years of my life for a college degree to find out if I only peddled my bike faster, played the piano, or became a lesbian, I could have been more successful.

These people are NOT qualified to give advice on crossing the street.

When I graduated for The Ohio State University, we had John Glenn as our commencement speaker. While I didn’t necessarily agree with his politics, Mr. Glenn was clearly qualified to provide advice. John Glenn was an American astronaut, Marine Corps fighter pilot, corporate executive, and Senater from Ohio.

John Glenn was one of the original group of Mercury astronauts for the Project Mercury. He was accurately profiled in the movie, The Right Stuff.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, JOHN GLENN GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE. (Muskingum College – 1942)

While at The Ohio State University, my Marketing 650 instructor, Roger Blackwell, had Dave Thomas come to speak to us during my junior year. Dave Thomas was the founder of Wendy's.

Dave Thomas never graduated from High School.
%

2 Comments:

At July 03, 2006 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 
At July 20, 2006 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home