Saturday, May 27, 2006

May 27 - The Indianapolis 500

Yes, boys and girls, It’s Story Time once again. With the Indianapolis 500 schedule to run this Sunday, I thought I would provide a look back at my brief interaction and knowledge of motor sports.

Now, I’ve never been to any kind of car race. I can’t tell the difference between 4 and 8-cylinder vehicle. I never watched Knight Rider, but I did see the Love Bug once when I was a kid. When I buy a car it’s because of the color.

I had the great fortune to meet Scott Sharp, one of the stars of the Indy Racing League (IRL). Scott Sharp was the 1996 IRL Indy Car Series co-champion, finished in fifth place in the 2005 standings, including a win at Kentucky Speedway. He is currently 11th in points this season. Scott holds the IRL record with 118 career starts.

My chance meeting with Scott Sharp was at a global management meeting in Jacksonville FL in January 2000. Because most of the other attendees were much older and of varied nationalities, I was chosen to sit next to Scott at the main dinner event. Someone thought I might help bridge the gap between the suave, sophisticated world of Indy Car Racing and the high tempo, fast life style of Corporate America.
The night got off to a great start when I jokingly leaned over to Scott and asked him, “So what do you do?” (Although others at the table thought I was serious). Scott was a great sport and I’m sure he must tire of the endless corporate flesh pressing. Scott was sincerer, down to earth and more friendly than many others at the event.

Scott will be starting in the eighth position in row 3 in Sunday’s Indianapolis 500. Good Luck.

1 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home