Wednesday, June 28, 2006

June 27 - Bike Trip Summary


I’m back from my mini-vacation. Some people go to Disney World, some do court ordered community service; I went on a 200-mile bike ride along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. The canal follows the Potomac River and runs from Cumberland, MD through WV and VA and ends in Washington DC.

My sister and brother-in-law, avid marathoners, proposed the bike trip when we were full of holiday cheer last December. I said, “Great, no problem, I’ve ridden a bike.”

Using my Project Management skills, I planned and end-to-end trip with stops at several venues along the way to take in the local culture and history. My wife, Heidi, would provide the team support by driving the car and baggage from destination to destination.

The plan included stops in Cumberland, MD, Paw Paw, WV, Hancock, MD, Shepherdstown, WV, Leesburg, VA and Georgetown, MD.

There were only two obstacles to prevent me from participating; my shortage of gear and lack of training.

I did not have a bike, biking clothes, or a bike helmet.

So I borrowed my brother’s mountain bike. I laundered my one pair of bike shorts each night in my shower and I borrowed my 5-year-old son’s Spiderman helmet.

I got many double takes along the route with the Spiderman helmet. It had dramatic effect when I would quote Peter Parker as I passed slower bikers along the way.

“With great power, comes great responsibility. It is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I’m SPIDERMAN!!!”

As for training, I went to the gym religiously, every Sunday. However stationary bike training cannot simulate actual road conditions. I did fine until the end of the second day. My stamina was great, but my bottom was battered and bruised.

What saved my ass, literally and figuratively was a bike shop in Hancock, MD. They sold me the “Cloud Nine” bicycle seat. (photo at left) It was just wide enough and soft enough to ease my pain as we headed into Day 3, a 54-mile segment.

It was a great experience seeing the C&O Canal, the Potomac River and several historic Revolutionary and Civil War sites.

As I mentioned, I only had one true biking outfit. What was amazing was the outfits my brother- in- law would wear each day. I dubbed him an official “Biking Wiggle” as he had a different color shirt for each day.

For my next vacation, I’m going to Disneyland, via plane, in August. As for my brother-in-law, I believe the Bay to Breakers race would be a viable option.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home