Monday, May 17, 2010

May 17, 2010 - PPM - The Postman Always Rings ... 6 times a week

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) is the U.S. POSTAL SERVICE.

The U.S. Postal Service has projected $238 billion in losses over the next decade.

Here is what I received in the mail today

JUNK MAIL–The Maids home Services postcard offering
JUNK MAIL – Great Oaks Career Campus Mailing
CATALOG - Coldwater Creek
JUNK MAIL - Pharmaceutical Company mailing
JUNK MAIL – Home & Décor Ideas Magazine
BILL – American Express
JUNK MAIL – Anderson Premier Turf
JUNK MAIL – Capital One Credit Card offering
JUNK MAIL - CHASE Credit Card offering
JUNK MAIL - CHASE Credit Card offering
BILL – Mortgage
JUNK MAIL – Transamerica Life Insurance Offering

It included absolutely NOTHING I needed. I pay all of my bills online. I order 99% of my merchandise without a catalog. I’ve never responded to a credit card offering.

I calculated that I could get over $500K in credit lines from just replying to a single week’s credit card offerings. It’s very tempting to secure the cards, get the cash advances, buy an island, and then declare that my government does not have an extradition policy with the U.S.

Here is my PEEVE. Why does the mail have to come SIX DAYS A WEEK? I could live with once or twice. Even at two times a week, that should reduce the cost of personnel, vehicles, and fuel, significantly. Even Cliff Clavin could figure out this math.

One reason the Post Office is losing money is that they have to deliver the mail to everyone, everywhere.

It costs 44 cents to send the letter to NYC or to Boondocks, Montana. Here is the solution. Box up the Boondocks mail and send it via Fed Ex once per week. It will SAVE the Postal Service unbelievable amounts of money to not have to drive to the Boondocks six days a week.



Sounds too simple? It is. That’s why it PEEVES me that Washington will never consider it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home