Monday, May 10, 2010

May 10, 2010 - PPM - Use as Directed and It Breaks

Around Thanksgiving, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her, “Something that goes form 0-200 in six seconds.” So she bought me a bathroom scale. That was the impetus I needed to get back to the gym.

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) is poorly made exercise equipment.

A few years ago I dedicated an unfinished part of my basement to creating a workout room. I also had a gym membership, so I didn’t use the Home Gym until the incessant use of cell phones by people supposedly there to work out bothered me enough to cancel my membership. This was the subject of a previous PET PEEVE.

In December 2009, I gave myself an early Christmas present and a jump start on new year’s weight loss resolution. I did an exercise equipment refresh.

My home gym now has:

Nordic Trak Vertex 670
Tunturi C45 Elliptical
Wesco 950
Passport System 4500 Stationary Bike
Viot SCV 2308 Stair Climber
Ab Circle Pro

Here’s the problem. Since I rededicated myself, three of the machines have broken. And no, I’m not over the suggested weight limit.

A cable snapped on my Nordic Trak, a wheel wore out on the AB machine, and the Elliptical monitor would not let me change tension levels.

The customer service departments all responded accordingly and the machines are repaired or will be shortly. The Elliptical distributor actually upgraded my model to a Premium unit at no charge.

My problem is why do things break when used as DESIGNED? Thank goodness I don’t drive a Toyota or I would have been really PEEVED. They say once you drive a Toyota, you’ll never stop.

If Obama wants to create some jobs, maybe he should start in the QUALITY ASSURANCE DEPARTMENT at these equipment manufacturers.

For the record, I have dropped 20 pounds. The wife says I could drop 10 more if I removed the refrigerator with the Bud Lights from the work out room. However, the refrigerator is still working and you know: “If it isn’t broke, ….”

Labels:

3 Comments:

At May 10, 2010 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

U lost 20 lbs. How many more before you are there?

 
At May 12, 2010 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in Chuck Norris like condition! I like it!!!!

 
At May 14, 2010 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember...you can't lose ugly! But good luck with your saggy ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home