Monday, July 23, 2007

July 23- Pet Peeve Monday - Pottery Barn Rules, Rule

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY is about PEOPLE THAT BORROW THINGS AND RETURN THE ITEMS BROKEN.

Sometimes people just don’t return the item and that is a separate PEEVE. I’m sure Librarians lay awake at night stressed about over-due books from the 1980’s.

I was always told that you should never loan something like tools to someone if you expect the item back. Ironically, I was also told if you are never going to use something more than twice, you should borrow it.

Here in, lies the enigma. I have never been a borrower. I never felt good about it. It would always be awkward should you have to be asked for the item back and you lost it, re-lent it, or god forbid, broke it.

Conversely, I have been an unfortunate loaner, mostly of money, but sometimes of tools or equipment.

My California tax returns from 1988-1992 are riddled with bad debt write-offs that look like the cast from COPS. You know, the ones with the blurred faces.

As an ETERNAL OPTIMIST, I’m sure Greg L. from Sacramento used the $1000 I loaned him to buy a computer. I’m sure he will “Google” me any day because he has been trying to find my address in order to send me a check.

Additionally, I’m sure Mark B. from Huntington Beach didn’t mean to jump bail and will return my $2500 bond money as soon as he returns from Mexico.

Recently I had loaned my copier to the IT representative for a local volunteer based organization.

When my copier was returned, the toner cartridge had been replaced unnecessarily. The new cartridge had been installed incorrectly. Upon powering up the machine my workroom was covered within enough black powder to solve the next 200 CSI crime scenes as illustrated in the below picture.
I’ve often wondered how I can come up with the proper sarcasm font. Please consider my handwriting in the below picture my first effort.


People should respect the old axiom, "Nice to look at, nice to hold, but if you break it, consider it sold."

This was around before The Pottery Barn came up with "You break it, you bought it."

Either way, The Pottery Barn rules, should rule.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At July 25, 2007 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toner dust sucks. I nuked a white work shirt (and our office space) trying to "help" our secretary.

 
At July 25, 2007 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your calls for civility must fall on tone(r) deaf ears.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home