Friday, January 05, 2007

January 4 - Notre Lame

Just as I was compelled to speak out about michigan’s Rose Bowl performance, I must also pontificate about Notre Dame’s 42-14 Sugar Bowl loss to LSU on Wednesday night.

First a couple of disclaimers:
  1. I do NOT feel particular disdain towards Notre Dame. I applied and was accepted there for undergraduate studies. However, but for significant reasons, I chose to go to The Ohio State University.

  2. Special thanks to my friend, Steven K., for sending me the below facts and statistics for use on my blog.

As Mike Greenberg said on his ESPN radio on Thursday, “there’s three things you can count on in life……death, taxes, and Notre Dame getting shellacked in a bowl game”.

Here are some juicy stats on the “no fight in ‘em” Irish……..

Nine straight bowl game loses (last win on January 1, 1994 by a whopping 3 points vs powerhouse Texas A&M).

The average point differential in these 9 games was 17.7.

The average point differential in the last 5 games was 22.4 (do you detect a trend?).

Since Notre Dame’s last win on 1/1/94, 87 of 119 Division I schools have WON a bowl game (for you poets, that is 73%). Interestingly, this weekend Ohio University and Western Michigan University, two schools that have never won a bowl game (in two attempts each), will be going for #s 88 and 89. WMU will play at noon on Saturday vs. UC, and OU will play at 8pm on Sunday vs. Southern Miss.

In the last two bowl games, Notre Dame had given up 577 yards (to LSU) and 617 yards (to OSU).

I love that 60 Minutes did a fluff piece about the great College Coach Charlie Weis.

During the interview it mentioned that Weis would put his hand on his chin to flaunt his Super Bowl rings to “romance” (their words, not mine) a recruit.

Two thoughts: When I look at a picture of Charlie Weis, I can’t find his chin. Second, apparently he is NOT recruiting any defensive players.

2 Comments:

At January 06, 2007 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touchdown Jesus was unavailable for comment.

 
At January 11, 2007 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has more chins than a chinese phone book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home