Monday, May 08, 2006

May 5 - Friday Funny - Not Today

This week’s Friday Funny is being replaced with FANTASTIC FRIDAY. If you haven’t noticed, I’ve had a break in Blog Postings. That is because this was the week of my annual trek to Myrtle Beach for some golf and good times. We have been going down to the “Grand Strand” for about 10 years in groups ranging from 4 to 12 players. I went sans PC thus eliminating my blogability (new word – check next year’s Webster). Anyway, now to the FANTASTIC part of Friday. Jim, (the golfer to the far left of picture) claims to be a 9 handicap. I’m not sure if Jim knows that the handicap is for 18 holes and not for nine. His handicap was in question as he in fact “wiffed” at his tee shot on the first hole on Thursday’s round. Jim ended the day somewhere north of 100 strokes.

As we fast forward to Friday and the 3rd hole at Tidewater. This hole is a downhill, 142-yard, par 3 with a three-tiered green. Tidewater is recognized as one of the top 10 courses in the area. Jim deftly took out a wedge and hit a beautiful lofted shot into the heart of the slope of the second tier. The ball gently rolled down the slope and squarely into the center of the cup for an ACE. Now, I’ve never seen a hole in one so I didn’t know what to expect.

There was screaming and shouting all around and Jim did a jump that I can only compare to Ross on Friends. He leapt a full 3 inches off the ground flailing his arms in a manner inconsistent with manhood. Nobody knows how to react when achieving a hole in one, but I am now going to practice my celebration dance as much as my putting.

Of all the golf I have played the last 4 years, about 90% of the time it is with Jim. I could not have been happier for anyone, unless I hit the shot. Jim, thanks for providing me with a FANTASTIC FRIDAY.

1 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim's Response....

Getting a hole-in-one is a lot like getting struck by lightning, except that you buy the drinks.

Jay, thank you for your kind words, and for reminding me of that wiff. I did consult Webster's 2006, and I confirmed my suspicion that "findable" is, in fact, a word. I apologize for overusing the word on our trip, but sometimes it was a little challenging to express a fresh complementary spin to some of your more wayward drives (e.g. Given a few good men, a team of dogs, and enough time, that shot may be "findable".) Next year I will be prepared. Here's my list of top ten complements that may be applied to most of Jay's drives:

1. At least you're hitting it farther. Last year that one would have been short of the interstate.
2. If this was baseball, some kid 10 rows up from the visitors' dugout would have a nice souvenir.
3. You just eliminated all doubt about whether you could hit the broad side of a barn.
4. It's a good thing you were wise enough to save your Mulligan for this hole.
5. Look for a handicap access to that guy's pool. If he has one, your contribution may be deductible for the full value of the golf ball.
6. Luckily, Duke is your teammate, or you'd never find that one.
7. Don't worry. If the homeowner's policy doesn't cover it, I know a good lawyer.
8. With that shot, you just killed more quail that Dick Cheney.
9. You owe us drinks after that one (Oddly, that's the same thing you hear after an ace.)

And the number 1 complement to the noncomplementary shot:

That shot went a full 10 yards farther than my best wiff.

Thanks again for documenting my shot in tha anals of history,

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home