Monday, December 28, 2009

Dec. 28, 2009 - PPM - TV Screen Graphics

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) concerns TV Stations and how they overlay graphics on the screen when you are trying to watch a show.

Last night, I was trying to watch the Sound of Music with the family. It’s my all time favorite movie. I loved it as a kid and I wanted to share it with my youngest daughter, now 7.

Santa brought me a nice new 63-inch flat panel TV and I wanted to watch the HD broadcast of the Sound of Music. It’s cold outside and there is a hint of flurries. I have a fire going in the fireplace. The popcorn is popped and we are good to go.

I flip on WCPO, the ABC affiliate in Cincinnati and this is what I saw:


Clockwise from top to bottom we have:

- A “Winter Weather Warning” map for counties that I cannot name and for where I do not live. It is inconveniently covering Julie Andrews’ face.

- A streaming weather banner telling me to check in for the latest at 11 p.m. At 11, I will be in bed and will not care about road conditions (in places I do not live and will not be traveling to).

- A transparent ABC decal. Although I can still see it.

- An opaque WCPO decal, so I know where to send my complaints about the 4 intrusions on my screen.

My 63-inch TV screen now looks like a puzzle from the old Concentration TV Game show (at right). Google it if you are under 40.

Conveniently, all of these intrusions disappear when a commercial plays.

I heard that Congress took up HR 6209: Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act. It takes on the issue of TV commercial’s sound volume.

Hey, any time not spent on destroying our health care system is a positive. Maybe Congress could also look at these screen overlays. They are unnecessary, unwarranted, infringements to my right to enjoy TV.

After all, after raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, watching unfettered TV, is one of my favorite things.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At December 28, 2009 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved to watch Concentration

 
At December 29, 2009 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in the affected area and was deeply concerned about the potential blizzard Channel Five was proclaiming during each commercial break. Turned to Channel Nine to settle my nerves with a classic, heartwarming musical, only to be reminded of my impending doom from the "white death" every second. I'm moving back to California to escape this madness!

 
At December 30, 2009 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about when the dog bites, when the bees sting, when you are feeling sad?

 
At January 04, 2010 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? There was a weather advisory last night? Just move to Columbus, we've got it figured out.

 
At February 08, 2010 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too, am very annoyed by those overlays...lately they are so big and animated it's nearly impossible to watch the program 'behind' it. And...they repeat and repeat during the program! WHERE do I get an 'overlay obliterater' for my TV?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home