Friday, December 18, 2009

Dec. 18, 2009 - Chris Henry's Death

The city of Cincinnati tonight has flags at half-mast and is engulfed in discussions about the death of Chris Henry. I even saw this car in the parking lot of a local restaurant.


If you followed his life and his choices, it was not unexpected. He had been arrested 5 times in a two-year span from everything from gun violations to sex with underage girls.

Some have labeled it a tragedy. It’s not. He died the way he lived, breaking the law. He was in the middle of a “domestic violence” event when he was thrown from the back of a pick-up truck. He was hammering the window of the pick-up cab. He was going “O.J.” on his fiancee, who was fleeing Mr. Henry.

Had he not died, I’m sure we would be viewing another police mug shot of Henry as he was being jailed for domestic violence.

I get most of my philosophic sayings from cartoons and action movies. (e.g. Popeye’s “I am what I am.”)

I’m reminded of that great Spiderman quote. “With great power, comes great responsibility. This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I’m Spiderman.”

Chris Henry had a great athletic powers, however leaping from moving vehicles (like Spiderman) was not one of them.

Yes, it is sad, he died at 26. He left 3 or 4 or 5 children without a male parent. We shouldn’t mourn for Chris Henry, we should mourn for his lost potential.

1 Comments:

At December 21, 2009 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bengals were not as inspired as they thought they would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home