Saturday, July 15, 2006

July 14 - Friday Funny - Jeeebus

This week’s FRIDAY FUNNY is inspired by a 62-ft. high sculpture of Jesus. The torso-up sculpture has a 42-foot span between upraised hands, and a 40-foot cross at the base. It's made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, and it is lit by spotlights at night. From the waist down, he's underground. This Jesus is the largest in the U.S.

Located on I-75 midway between Cincinnati and Dayton, the Jesus faces west towards I-75. It is in front of the Solid Rock Church of Monroe, Ohio. The I-75 exit near the statue is marked by a Hustler of Hollywood sign for one of Larry Flynt's largest adult stores and a billboard for Bristol's Show Club & Revue adult club that features a lingerie-clad woman. Jesus is surrounded by flea markets on both sides of the highway at this exit, which makes for large weekend traffic jams. This sounds a lot like Luke19:45 when Jesus drove the money changers from the temple when he was 12.

But to add to these traffic problems are the people who have decided to stop on the interstate to have their picture taken with ‘Jesus’. It may also attract passing heathens, as shown here, caught in the act of "High Five"-ing the Lord.

There is actually a great site that offers a parody of pictures of “Jeeebus” with props. I’m sure the authors of this site will be in hell a full five minutes ahead of me.

I had a PET PEEVE on May 8th of this year about Highway Rock Gatherers. It concerned people parked on the side of the road stealing rocks, stones, or boulders for decorative display in front of their doublewides. I argued that this created an undue traffic hazard.

These Jesus tourists, while still being a PET PEEVE have become a FRIDAY FUNNY. As they pose for their pictures, they approach their own Armageddon (Revelation 16:13) oblivious to the approaching SUV’s.

When I see drivers, pedestrians, or Christians committing traffic violations, I beep my car horn to provide notification of said violation. I also do it to announce that I am passing them in a 3-ton vehicle at 65 MPH approximately 5 feet to their left. I don’t want them to step into my lane while getting that wide-angle family photo.

On my trip past Jeeebus on Thursday, I observed three cars stopped at the height of rush hour to take that “one of a kind” picture. I tooted my horn as a warning of pending doom only to see an unbelievable response. The “father figure” flipped me the bird. I guess he was saying that Jesus is #1 in his book with his single finger salute.

I believe my 10th grade Religion teacher, Sister Marie Tress, needs to rethink her assessment of me. If I would see her again I would ask her, “Who is the Anti-Christ now?”

1 Comments:

At August 16, 2006 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least the people who are stopping at this statue have cars! You should try to look on the bright side and stop being so negative! Just be thankful they aren't stoping in your yard to see your annual christmas display.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home