Friday, February 08, 2013

Feb. 4, 2013 - PPM - Going non-Postal

This week, the government finally made a smart decision.  They decided that the Post Office can save $2 Billion a year by discontinuing Saturday Delivery.
Here is my PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM):  Why did it take so long?
I had previously blogged about this on May 17, 2010.
Here some simple math:
The Post Office lost $15 Billion in 2012
The Post Office delivered 6 days a week in 2012.
The Post Office will save $2 Billion by eliminating 1 day.
How much would they save if they stopped delivering 6 days a week?
Bottom line, they CANNOT cut themselves into a positive revenue stream.  They have a faulty delivery and cost model.
As I detailed in my 2010 posting, I do not use the mail to pay anything.  All of my bills are automatically paid online.  The only bills I get in the mail are hard copy receipts of bills that I already know.
I would suggest that the mail should be delivered ONCE a week.  Have it be delivered by the Rumpke trash people.  They come ONCE a week through rain or shine, snow or sleet.  As a matter of fact, Rumpke comes on the holidays as well, unlike the Post Office.
I know there is a tear-jerking, sentimental history about mail delivery, much like a Norman Rockwell painting. But we moved on after buggy whips, typewriters, and the cancellation of All My Children.
The times, they are a CHANGING.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 08, 2013 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Having the Rumpke guys deliver the mail is an interesting idea. Since they actually pick up 99% of the mail that is already delivered to my house, maybe they could just skip me and take the mail directly to the dump.

 
At February 11, 2013 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eliminate ALL government spending that is useless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home