Monday, September 08, 2008

September 8, 2008 - PPM - Vetting

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) is about the term VETTING.

It is a popular term this election year. It was originally meant as a term for a veterinary evaluation. It is now used as a description for evaluating or examining someone running for office.

There has been much discussion in the biased media that Governor Sarah Palin was not thoroughly “vetted” by John McCain before her selection as his running mate.

The NEGATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE that has been afforded Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is unbelievable.

I could discuss the sexism that mainstream media have displayed in talking about her desire to have a career and be a mother. Did anyone ask Bill Clinton if he could find the proper balance between being the President, a good father, and still finding time for White House interns?

The below US magazine covers illustrate the print media bias. Even Oprah won’t allow Palin to be a guest until AFTER the election. I’m sure the Fairness Doctrine will address that inadequacy.


I had the unique opportunity to be at the August 29 rally in Dayton OH when Sarah Palin was introduced as Senator McCain’s running mate. The media reported that the arena wasn’t full. I WAS THERE. They were standing 3 deep in the back and the atmosphere was electric.

I mentioned to my friend that if she spoke at the convention like she did that day that the Republicans would see a 10 point bump in the polls. I under estimated her impact.

I truly think that the media’s negative reaction to Palin to do with the fact that the media was scooped on her selection. They didn’t get a chance to “vet” her.

Exactly what is vetting?

As part of the media’s vetting of Sarah Palin, they discovered that her husband had a DUI 22 years ago. It was 2 years BEFORE they got married. How is that relevant? I’m sure as VP, she will have a designated driver. Current VP Dick Cheney actually shot a close friend with a shotgun. I guess if Cheney had been properly vetted by his optometrist he might have been denied a gun permit.

I still remember the 1972 Presidential election. The original Democratic VP Thomas Eagleton was forced to drop from the McGovern ticket after it was learned that he had gone under experimental Electroconvusive Therapy. Eagleton had a history of manic depression and suicidal tendencies. As it turns out, these symptoms weren’t that rare for Democrats in the 70’s. Borne from this event was the current lexicon of vetting.

In this environment of MySpace, YouTube, and Google, every one is vetted in real time.

The role of media vetting is GONE, so they should move on and report the news instead of trying to INFLUENCE elections.

I'm thankful that Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet when I met my wife 17 years ago.

She was not able to properly "vet" me. Besides, I'm sure some people like to use Electroconvusive Therapy instead of coffee to jump start their day.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At September 12, 2008 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on

 

Post a Comment

<< Home