Thursday, January 10, 2008

January 7, 2008 - PPM - Children Birthday Parties

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY is again about OUR CHILDREN.

In the past I have had CHILDREN PET PEEVES based upon:

Children Answering Phones

Children that are Fragile

Children Fund Raisers

Children that are Over Scheduled

Now don’t get the idea that I don’t like children, I do. I just think there should be boundaries.

My latest PET PEEVE is CHILDREN BIRTHDAY PARTIES. We got caught into this SUCKING VORTEX OF DOOM when we held a birthday party for one of our children. I told my wife that nothing good could come from this act. And I was right.

By having a party, you get invited to ten other parties. Then if you have multiple children, it becomes exponential. Add to that issue that many parents try to outdo the previous party.

I now have to travel over 30 minutes to attend some parties. And to add injury to insult, I have to sign ACCIDENT WAIVERS before attending the party (below.) It contains language like, “I, for myself and the participant(s) named below, and our respective heirs, assigns, administrators, personal representatives, and next of kin, hereby release and hold harmless, Just Kiddin' Inc., DBA Pump It Up of West Chester, OH, and PIU Management, LLC, their affiliates, officers, members, agents, employees, other participants, and sponsoring agencies from and against any and all claims, injuries, liabilities or damages arising out of or related to our participation in any and all Pump It Up programs, activities, parties, the use of the play area and/or inflatable equipment.”

What’s next, I have to sign a Letter of Intent to have fun?

Are these waivers a result of injuries, lawsuits, or fragile children? As always, it was probably overzealous, unscrupulous lawyers that brought the onset of these waivers.

Will Zoo’s now have you sign waivers that you understand that the animals reserve the right to eat you should you taunt, tease, or make faces at them?

I don’t want to raise my children in a bubble. I also don’t feel the need to expose them to undue risk when attending a birthday party. I shouldn’t have to retain counsel in order to decide if I should schedule a play date.

What ever happened to the neighborhood clown or magician that would entertain our children? Oh yeah, they are serving 10-20 years for being convicted Child Predators.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 10, 2008 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What neighborhood did you grow up in that had clowns?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home