Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Oct. 20, 2010 – WATN - Gallagher

I've always wondered Where Are They Now (WATN) when I thought about the comedian, Gallagher. He was a staple of the 1980's and I saw him from a distance a few times.

In August, while on vacation, I took the family to a minor league baseball game in Charleston, SC. The Charleston River Dogs are the Class A affiliate of the New York Yankees.

It was a perfect night for baseball, but what made it special was that comedian Gallagher was there, much to my surprise and delight. And Gallagher was everywhere. He threw out the first pitch. He sang during the 7th inning stretch. At the end of the game he smashed some watermelons, his trademark shtick. He may have been parking cars for tips for all I know.

I've now had up close brushes with "fame" by meeting Sam Kinison, Carrot Top, and Gallagher, the "Holy Trinity" of comics. Sure it's not Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, or Jerry Sienfeld, but its close enough for me.

Ironically, it was funny how I though Gallagher was taller, but he was quite short. That is actual watermelon residue on my shirt.


I guess it was the sledge hammer/mallet that made him appear larger. I may have to reconsider the spatial sizing of Paul Bunyon and the Pope as well.



Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 22, 2010 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought he was dead like Kineson.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home