Thursday, March 04, 2010

March 4, 2010 - If the Humor is Bad, You Shouldn't Get Mad.

There is an article in today’s paper about three Los Angeles elementary school teachers accused of giving children portraits of O.J. Simpson, Dennis Rodman and RuPaul to carry in a Black History Month parade. The educators have been suspended from their classrooms. The LA chapter of the NAACP has asked that they be fired.

If Black History Month is February, then Rep. Charley Rangel and NY Governor David Patterson would have been OK selections, since technically they didn’t get in trouble until March.

My point isn’t about racism; it’s about tolerance for humor and timing. O.J. Simpson was a hero for many Americans of many colors for many years. I blogged about my meeting with Simpson in Hawaii in 1991. We had a nice conversation and he even bought me an adult beverage. But we know that he has fallen from the pedestal into a 10 by 8 jail cell. If the parade were held in February 1994, then the portrait carrying would have been more acceptable. It was bad timing. If Johnny Cochran was still alive, he would say, "If the Humor is Bad, You Shouldn't Get Mad."



The choice of Simpson, Rodman, and RuPaul was humorous, not racist. Why aren’t the critics of RuPaul’s selection considered homophobic? I’m sure RuPaul is a role model to some niche of people.

Technically, I’m 1/8 Native American. Is there a Native American History Month? Since I’m only 12.5%, I don’t need a whole month, just give me a long weekend. Preferably in late June, around the annual commemoration of the Battle of Little Big Horn.

Just Kidding. Lighten Up. Life is short.

2 Comments:

At March 06, 2010 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were part Eskimo.

 
At March 08, 2010 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were part Chuck Norris?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home