Tuesday, March 03, 2009

March 2, 2009 - PPM - Garbage Policies

This week's PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) is the upside down policies of my local garbage collector.

Monday’s Cincinnati Enquirer had an article titled; Rumpke Revenues Fall With Less Trash.

The company has been negatively impacted by falling commodity rates for recycled materials.

When I reviewed my quarterly Rumpke bill last week, I noted the following:

- 14% of my bill was for “Recycled Services”
- 6 % of my bill was for a “Fuel Surcharge”

I don’t know what bothers me more, a company that charges me a fee to “Be Green” and then makes a profit off of it or a company that mysteriously adds a fuel surcharge when gasoline prices have dropped by 50%.

I actually would save money if I DIDN’T recycle. I might feel guilty, so I could still save my recyclables and take them to a facility myself. I would get the cash directly. I don’t mind the trashman making a profit, but aren’t you “TRIPLE DIPPING” here.

1. You charge me to collect my recyclables
2. You earn money on my recyclables and don’t share the profits
3. You over bill me on the gas on your way to over bill me to pickup my recyclables.

When I contacted Rumpke about the fuel surcharge they replied via email,

“The fuel surcharge that we charge our customers is a fraction of what it costs to operate the trucks; instead of hiding these costs in the bulk of the bill, they are explicitly outlined for the convenience of our customers.”

I feel much better now.

Reform your policies or this could be me!!!



Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 04, 2009 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

 
At March 06, 2009 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're going to need a bigger bike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home