Monday, October 27, 2008

October 27, 2008- PPM - Election Polls

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) is about ELECTION POLLS.

I have a serious problem with Political Polls. It seems that the "all-news" channels report on the latest polls more often than the Stock Market’s gyrations.

Depending on the day, the hour, the poll, and the lunar position of the moon, Obama leads McCain by 2 to 25 points.

POLLS ARE HISTORICALLY INACCURATE. Does anyone remember President Dewey or President Gore? The polls had these individuals winning their elections. Exit polls had Kerry winning in 2004.

I’ve been a property owning, tax paying, and active voter since 1980. The only poll that I’ve ever been subjected to was Coke versus Pepsi. I answered Dr. Pepper, so that may have placed me on a “Do Not Poll” list. No one has EVER asked me which candidate I supported.

A.C. Nielsen asked me about my TV viewing habits until I told them I had 17 TVs in my house. They asked me why, and I responded, BECAUSE I CAN. Nielsen no longer surveys me. I'm sure Obama has a "TV Redistribution" plan for me.

I would have liked to have seen a poll during the Primary that asked, “Are you voting for Obama and not Clinton because you are Sexist?” or Did you vote for Clinton instead of Obama because you are racist?”

In early US elections a poll tax was invoked. Only people who could demonstrate a financial tie to a community were permitted to vote in that community. The thought was only people with property who had a vested position in the direction of the country could vote. NOT A BAD IDEA.

Many states, like Indiana, do not allow alcohol sales while the election booths are open. The idea is based in the fact that people should be coherent when voting for the representatives that will lead their country. Today we have “Community Organizers” that routinely round up homeless people to transport them to the voting booth. They have traded their vote in return for a drink.

You need a license to drive; maybe you should have a “REALITY CARD” in order to vote. Past polls have indicated:

- 6% still think Elvis is alive (2002 Fox Poll)
- 24% believe in UFOs (2004 Fox Poll)
- 6% believe moon landing was a hoax (1999 Gallup poll)
- 24% believe in Witches (2004 Fox Poll)

This year’s Election Polls are as inaccurate as they have always been. The only problem is they may suppress votes, because people WON’T vote, if they think their vote doesn’t matter. Just ask the western candidates that lost close races, when the networks called Presidential races BEFORE all of the local voting was completed.

I’ve never liked polls. I had previously blogged about People Who Want to Manage Complex Situations by Popular Opinion Polls. It was based on the fact that 90% of the "Polled” people were against "The Surge.” Wow, people were against further US military deaths.

In summary, MY PET PEEVE is the ENDLESS REPORTING on ELECTION POLLS that have HISTORICALLY BEEN INACCURATE.

The Polls indicate that people want CHANGE. Great, but undefined CHANGE or DIRECTION is dangerous.

I always remember the time I went on a road trip with a friend to Chicago. This was before GPS and we were obviously lost. I asked him, “Do you know where we are going?”

He responded, “NO, but we are making great time!!!”

Enough said.
I know if a POLL is taken on November 5th, EVERYONE will be glad THIS election is over.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 30, 2008 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Polls are useless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home