Tuesday, April 01, 2008

March 31, 2008 - PPM - I Mis Spoke

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) concerns the phrase, “I Mis-Spoke.”

Hillary Clinton used the expression recently to discuss her conflicted recollection of her time in Bosnia. On the campaign trail she stated that she had to “duck sniper fire and run for cover.” Actual camera footage showed a different picture. Clinton was shown greeting local school children on the tarmac while laughing and enjoying the moment with her daughter Chelsea at her side.

One has to imagine if they were ever truly in a life or death situation they would be able to recall the facts with crystal-clear clarity. Maybe Hillary was just groggy from answering all of those 3 a.m. phone calls.

Bottom line, Hillary did not mis-speak, SHE LIED.

When I asked my 7 year-old if he had eaten his sister’s chocolate bunny. He wagged his cocoa stained finger and said, ‘I did not have edible relations with that Easter Rabbit.” Only when confronted with his chocolate stained blue shirt did he state that he had obviously “mis-spoke.”

I may have “mis-punished” him by painting his back porch red.

Everyone wants to use the “mis” prefix as a get out of jail free card. Roger Clemens stated that his good friend Andy Pettitte, “mis-remembered” a purported conversation about steroids.

Here’s how I would use my “mis” mulligans:

“Officer, I mis-saw the Stop Sign. I promise to stop twice at the next one."

“Honey I mis-wrote the tip on the Hooters credit card voucher. No one would tip 200% on purpose.”

“Seriously, I mis-joked about the bomb in my boxers, Mr. Airport Screener. There is no need for more probes!!!”

Folks, let’s stop the word games. A LIE IS A LIE.

If the politicians continue to “mis- speak,” I’m probably going to “mis-vote” in November.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At April 02, 2008 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back - how many vacations are you taking this year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home