Monday, May 14, 2007

May 14 - Pet Peeve Monday - Restaurant Cell Phone Users

This week’s PET PEEVE MONDAY (PPM) concerns PUBLIC CELL PHONE USE. I know this seems to be a PET PEEVE for everyone except the perpetrators.

In November 2006, Ohio voters decided to eliminate smoking in all restaurants. It took over six months to implement, but it is now the law of the land.

I can only hope that someone makes cell phone use in a restaurants a crime as well.

Last Friday, I tried to enjoy an afternoon lunch with my four-year-old daughter. We sat outside at the local Fridays.

The patio was relatively peaceful, or so I thought.

One woman was sitting at a two-person table talking on her cell phone. Her meal was finished and she appeared ready to depart, but was having a loud conversation on her cell phone.

We ordered our drinks; she continued to talk on her phone.
We enjoyed our drinks and ordered our food; she continued to talk on her phone.
We ate our food; she continued to talk on her phone.
We paid our bill; she continued to talk on her phone.

She had talked non-stop for the whole hour we were there. I don’t even know if anyone had “enjoyed” lunch with her that day. Amazingly, as I could hear her side of the conversation, nothing of interest was revealed. No one was sick; no one was dying, no one needed to be talked down from the ledge. It was continuous inane small talk.

At regular intervals this woman would cackle loudly with no warning or probable reason. People would instinctively turn to look. My 4-year old did this repeatedly.

I finally said loudly to my daughter, “Honey, it’s rude to stare at RUDE people.” This drew laughter and applause from the other patio patrons.

It drew no response from the culprit; she continued to talk on her phone.

I long for the old days of poor cell phone coverage and limited cell phone battery life. Actually, I long for the days of proper public etiquette.

I believe it would be impolite to talk on my phone, but I did use it to take a picture of the discourteous diner.
If you know this person, please tell her to HANG UP.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell her to try a salad as well.

 
At May 18, 2007 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Peeve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home