Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Oct. 6, 2015 - Playoffs? Yes, Baseball Playoffs

This is my favorite time of the year:  The Baseball playoffs.

I grew up when it was the National League East against the National League West. No wildcard team and certainly NOT two wildcard teams.

Playoff games AND World Series games were played in the afternoon. It was the era of Aaron and Mays, Garvey and Lopes, Clemente and Stargell, Rose and Bench.

It was the Cincinnati Reds against the Pittsburgh Pirates.  The Reds were in the WEST even though St. Louis and Chicago were in the EAST.

I remember going to a Reds/Pirates playoff game at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati in October, 1979. I was a high school senior and somehow a classmate and I were able to drive 3 hours each way to the game and back, missing school, and probably our after school jobs just to see a Reds playoff game.  The Reds lost that day, but WE WON. 

If I was still in school I probably would have sent the below email:
You never know when you are making a memory that will make you smile for a lifetime. Take that chance.

It was an experience like this that validated my retirement at 43.

You can always make money, but it's more important to make memories.

1 Comments:

At October 30, 2015 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baseball the ONE constant constant throughout the years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home